|Casey County News|
The Post Office on Tracefork Pike
A word sketch, penned by Mr. R.A. Luttrell of the Phil community,
appeared in the July 23, 1902, edition of the Adair County News and
comprised the greater portion of the newsletter from that section of
It is only a country post-office situated on Tracefork pike, surrounded by the most industrious and scientific farmers, 1-1/2 miles from the fertile valley of Green river. We have for the accommodation of travel two daily hacks, one through line to the railroad at McKinney [in neighboring Lincoln County], the other to Liberty, the county seat. We have two large country stores, two blacksmith shops, one grist mill, one stave mill, one shingle factory and a woolen factory. Our farmers have the cultivators, the mowers, reapers and binders, and everything else that is necessary to make a people comfortable and happy.
We are connected with the surrounding country by telephone. We read newspapers from Maine to Texas, but we read the Adair County News and Courier-Journal first. Our place is Democratic in principle.
The [post] office was established through the efforts of Little Phil Thompson* when he represented us in Congress and [was] named in honor of him. We have not aught to say against Mr. Carson, our P.M. He is one of our most respectable young men, and Miss Kate, his assistant and manager, is ever kind and obliging and most highly respected by all who know her.
(* "Little Phil" almost certainly refers to Phillip Burton Thompson, Jr. (1845-1909) of Mercer County, who served as US Representative 1879-1885 for Kentucky's 8th District, of which Casey County was a part at the time.)