Monroe County Communities
(This is from a series of posts to the South-Central-KY list made by Sandi Gorin.)
Abstracted from the History of Monroe Co. AKERSVILLE: Named for the John AKERS store located in Jack Edd COSBY bottom on White Oak Creek. Possibly John AKERS, father of Henry W Powell and Elizabeth AKERS who md George NEAL might have been the original proprietor. PO established 10 Oct 1882 with John N AKERS the original post master. Feb 1882 Dr Gilbert CELSOR became p.m. A yr later John Wesley PAYNE appt p.m. James A BRAY p.m. 3 May 1888. Thomas B BUTRUM p.m. 25 May 1920. Post office discontinued 31 Aug 1923 with mail then being sent to Fountain Run. PO re-established 15 July 1929. Next p.m.s were Luther E COSBY and Pearl COSBY. PO discontinued 31 May 1956. Akersville Baptist Church established 1891 - originally called Highoaka/Highoakie. BOLES: No data. James B. MARSHALL had a general store there, photo of James B. BOLES, his wife Vina and his sisters, Lydia PITCOCK and Belle HAMMER, and his daughters Kate and Annie MARSHALL. BOYD (TOLONO): Located between Boyd's Branch of Peters Creek between the Jeffery and Stringtown communities. Said to have been named for a BOYD family who lived at the head waters of Boyd's Branch. It had a one-room school house, a general store owned by John LANE (operated by his bro-in-law William Henry SMITH). Had a tanning yard operated by Alexander SMITH in the late 1890's. Families in this area included QUINN, BOWMAN, SAMPSON, PAYNE, JONES, SOARDS, HAMMETT, TURNER, REAGAN, SIMMONS, SMITH & BOSLEY. Teachers (not all) included Bess HOPE, William Henry SMITH, Corrina HARLAN, Mrs. Fontice QUINN, Banna SMITH, Eish RICHEY and Mrs. A B MURPHY. There is a photo of Lonnie J SMITH, Mrs Grover TURNER, Lena SMITH, Viola JOHNSON, Alice SMITH in a car ca 1917 and the Boyd General Merchandise Store,1910 showing Charlie DEWEESE, Heershel JONES, John JONES, "Si Ducky" TURNER, Dorse BOSLEY, Taffie JONES, Jim Hulet AUGDON, Price SMITH, William Henry SMITH, Alma SMITH, Porter SMITH, Ova TURNER and baby Mervin "Budge" SMITH. Note! This pictures are smal and some aren't too clear. BUSHONG. This community is not known as Mt. Gildead. It is located at the forks of East Fork Creek, abt 3 1/2 miles north of Tompkinsville. Began ca 1798, land granted to John SUMMERS by Gov SHELBY. John SUMMERS' dau Isabelle md Henry BUSHONG who also had a land grant here. Another early settler was Solomon DICKERSON, 1804. John HARRIS came 1807. The Mt. Gilead Church of Christ organized 1857. Charter members included BROWN, LYON, HIGH, BUSHONG, BRAY, PROFFITT, HARVEY, PITCOCK, HARRIS, CUNNINGHAM, EMBERTON, PAYNE, ROBERTSON & McMURTREY. Several schools have been located here. Sarah DICKERSON donated land 1879 for school. Jacob BUSHONG had a grist mill here. PO established 1909 and post masters have included William S HARLAN, Jarret DICKERSON, Lorenzo T RASNER, Isaac HUMES was asst pm, post office discontinued 1924. Picture of the HUMES Store ca 1908 shows Alta CARTER, Ing Tom BARTLEY, Eva Lena HARLAN, Arlie HARLAN, Lincoy WALKER, Octavia CARTER, J N "Cricket" HUMES, Isham HUMES & Randy HUMES. Another photo shown the BUSHONG home 1894 showing Willie D BUSHONG, Jarret DICKERSON, Maude DICKERSON (MOSS), Ella BUSHONG DICKERSON, Clyde DICKERSON, Jacob BUSHONG, Mary HEADRICK BUSHONG, Nancy BUSHONG MARRS (wife of Dr. Fran MARRS and Pearl EAGLE BUSHONG, wife of Dr. George W BUSHONG. According to the history of Monroe Co, Center Point is located 14 miles southeast of Tompkinsville between the Salt Lick Bend and Turkey Neck Bend. These being 2 bends in the Cumberland River that stretches from Black's Ferry to the south of Meshack Creek. Center Point was named because it was the center point between Celina, TN, Burkesville in Cumberland Co and Tompkinsville. When Monroe became a county in 1820, Tompkinsville was chosen as the county seat. Indian relics have been found in abundance in early days with a large camp of Indians located near Blacks' Ferry. There was an Indian graveyard discovered there along Hwy 100 near Meshack Creek on the KIRKPATRICK farm. Supposedly, by oral tradition, there was an Indian village nearby. Jimmy GRAY donated land here for the building of Cedar Grove Church in the late 1880's. J H PHILPOT was the main carpenter, assisted by Will ROSS, Robert (Bob) KIRKPATRICK and others. It was a non-denominational church but was used only by the Church of Christ. Some ministers who served here were RENEAU, SHRAGLEY, WINKLER, Tollie PHEMISTER, John LYONS and a HALL. Baptisms were done in Meshack Creek. There were subscription schools early in this area with teachers remembered being Jack BOWMAN and hsi sister, Sally WHITE, and Ella MURPHY WALLER, d/o T. Bell MURPHY). Hascal HAILE and his brother Vose built a school house in 1935-36. Teachers are the Center Point School included Mr. HUTCHERSON, George HOFFMAN, Jess HOFFMAN, Verdi CROWE, Julia RICHARDSON, Bedford LANEY, Pauline RICHARDSON, Iona CARTER TEETERS, Boyd BOYLES, Harry Edward BRYANT, Ruby HAYES, Zelma COMPTON, Albert ROSS, Effie THOMPSON RAY, Ezekiel HARLAN, Clyde Coe BROWN, Delma HEAD WALDEN, Dane HEAD WALDEN, Inez HEAD STARNES and Lucille ROSS GERALDS. Descendants of the slaves of Moses KIRKPATRICK named Millie and Houston KIRKPATRICK. They were well respected - they had a son Jimbo. The first burial in this town was in 1880, Angelina SCHOOLFIELD RICHARDSON, w/o Stokley RICHARDSON. She was buried on a hill on the farm later owned by Dr. R D STARNES; and later her mother Millie was buried there. It became a public cemetery after Stokley moved away. The general store of Center Point was built by Alonza "Lon" RICHARDSON. He sold to John CHERRY, later Will ROSS and Dick PULLIAM, Frank GRAY, Elmer WALLER, Alton ROSS, Frank WILLIAMS and Virgil Head. The post office moved to various locations over the years and was sometimes in the homes of George HOFFMAN, Ellie MURPHY TOOLEY and John HEARD. Willie BROWN and his sons, Bliss, Johnny Ray, Frank and Webb were mail carriers for 19 yrs. Doctors included Dr. DAVIS of Black's Ferry; Dr. Jack BOWMAN of Salt Lick Bend; Dr. BEDFORD of Turkey Neck Bend, Dr. Joseph Jeff ROSS of Meshack; Dr. WEBB, PALMORE and George BUSHONG of Tompkinsville and Dr. Tim Lee CARTER. Pioneer settlers included the families of: KIRKPATRICK, RICHARDSON, GENTRY, GRAY, MURPHY, HEAD, ROSS, PULLIAM, CHERRY, BIGGERSTAFF, GETTING, MILIAM, COE, BROWN, HEARD, GERALDS, CROWE,HOFFMAN, SCOTT, WHITE, SHORT, CLOYD, BALL and KEYS. Emberton was a small community located 7 miles east of Tompkinsville on Hwy 1366. There were a few families and a few stores including a country store, grist mill and post office. The latter opened in 1882 and closed in 1945. Hulet EMBERTON owned the store and the town was named for him. There was a Free Will School (begun 1850), Free Will Church of God in Christ (constituted 1855); Harmony United Baptist (constituted 1877) and Rocky Point School (opened 1875.). There are 4 cemeteries here - ISENBERG, BELCHER, MITCHELL and SLAUGHTER. The ISENBERG Cemetery is abt 8 miles west of Tompkinsville on Hwy 1366. It was started abt 1850 and as of a few years ago, there were 324 graves there - 90 of which are unknown. The oldest grave is Sherwood DERRINGTON, age 6 mos & 2 days who was the s/o of E & E P DERRINGTON., dated Aug 15, 1865. Next oldest is Minnie GOODE, age 15 mos & 22 days, who was buried 28 Nov 1867, d/o J A W & E M. Daniel ISENBERG was the 3rd oldest to be buried there, born 3 Oct 1799, died 16 June 1868. There are 6 Civil War veterans, one WWI, 11 WWII and one each Korean and Vietnam buried here. Cliva J ISENBERG was caretaker of the cemetery 1955-1987, not run by a committee of Maerene BARTLEY, Olivia HALL, Ulyssis ISENBERG and Glen PROFFITT. Rocky Point School began when the Free Will School moved in 1875, located about 1/2 mile from each other. Trustees included: T P THOMAS, W T TURNER and Abijah STRICKLER. Closed 1956. Opal BARTLEY was a teacher here. Free Will School opened 1850 on land donated by Joseph S RIHERD. Trustees included Daniel ISENBERG, J B ISENBERG and Joseph HARVEY. John D BRANDON was a first year teacher. It is located 1/2 way between the Free Will Church of Christ and Harmony Baptist Churches. Col. James FLIPPIN was one of the first settlers in this area. He was a veteran of the Revolutionary War and owned several hundred acres of land by land grants in 1805 and 1807. John M. FRAIM came here abt 1834, moving from Centerville, TN; he was a merchant in the Flippin community in the 1830's. The PO was opened here in 1858 and named for James FLIPPIN above; he donated a log building for the location of the p.o. - located SW of the Methodist church. Dr. W C BROCKETT was the first postmaster. This po was discontinued in 1870; re-established in 1872 with BROCKETT again serving in the same position. He was followed by Joseph LLOYD, William H MASEY, James M. JACKSON, Elijah A. PURCELL, Elijah P. GILLENWATERS, William P. NEAL, John B SHORT, Hattie B. SHORT, Dora REGISTER, Dora STEWART, Howard HAYES, Vinnie FLIPPIN, William C. JORDAN, Preston L. SAMSON, Lou CROWE (acting), Francis L BUTTON, Earnest SMITH, Mrs Frank BUTTON and Ella D HUGHS. Thomas D. DENHAM was a saddler; Dr. W C BROCKETT and CLEMENTS served as physicians during the Civil War time frame. Dr. Caswell C RIGGS was also located here for a time and later moved to Gamaliel. Dr. SYMPSON, BRITT, Hugh YOUNG and J W WHITE were also doctors here. Merchants included: John FRAIM, James T. BEALS (moved here in 1868 from Hillham, TN -ran a store); Francis M. BUTTON (came 1879); FERGUSON & SHORT, J N GILLENWATER, W C JORDAN, Arthur DOTSON, Jesse CROWE, Frank M BUTON Sr, Frank M BUTTON, Jr, LANE & WEBB Co; Lester TURNER, Winford DOWNING and Thomas BUTTON. Elijah C PURCELL ran a hotel in 1880; the DOSSEY family ran the DOSSEY House in the early 1900's. Thomas C GILLENWATERS and Prof. TAYLOR were early teachers; a schoolhouse was built in 1882 called Normal Hall Academy. Other faculty members included T C GILLENWATERS, A L PETERMAN and J M HAGAN. J M JACKSON was a merchant in 1895, was also a druggist and lawyer. Churches included Indian Creek Missionary Baptist (1835), Flippin Church of Christ (1879) and Flippin Methodist. There were also mills and a bank was established 1920 which closed in 1923. Other names found include BASS, HOFFMAN, CREEK, JOHNSON, LANE, BROWN, GOAD, GOODALL. Here's a look at the town of Fountain Run. It is located in the SW end of Monroe Co, 3 miles north of the Barren River and 3 miles W of Indian Creek. Settlers were here in the early 1800's from VA and NC. The original name of the town was JIM TOWN or JAMESTOWN. Jim BARLOW supposedly owned the first store where he served trappers, settlers and drifters. Jim Town was likely named for BARLOW or Jim DENTON, early settler. The town name was changed to JAMESTOWN in 1816. A petition is found in Barren Co giving 50 acres to establish the town by Jacob GOODMAN Sr, names mentioned included Walter CARUTH, Wm KERR, Josiah SHORT, John AUSTIN & Lannon SHORT. In 1847 the name was changed to Fountain Run and a post office established. Dr. James R DUNCAN supposedly was instrumental in the name change. Postmasters have included: Dr. James R DUNCAN, Joseph P TAYLOR, Barton W STONE, William DENTON, Henry C FRANKLIN, Dr. Albert WEIR, Bird COMER, Ben A DOWNING, John H HARLIN, James H SHORT, WIlliam T GOODMAN, Ella ROARK (assistant), B W DOWNING, E H COOK, Virginia Howard HUGHES, Wallace SHOCKLEY, Joyce WILLIAMS. Early families included: GOODMAN, WOOD, FORTUNE, DOSSEY, DUNN, DOWNING, CELSOR, TRACY, BENEDICT, AUSTIN, FRANKLIN, HUGHES, SEAY, HOWRD, NEAL, SHORT, BARLOW, LAYNE, GROOMS, JORDAN, FRAIM, CARUTH, SIMMONS, CAMPBELL, PINCKLEY, HAGAN, KERR and EATON. There is a bio on Jacob GOODMAN who has been covered in earlier posts. In 1860 WILLIAM DENTON was postmaster; merchants included James MYERS, William DUNN, J P McCLELLAND, J SEAY and A H CARUTH. Doctors: T L HUNT, J R DUNCAN, B W STONE, Frances M STONE and William M. SEDDOUS. Wagon makers: W B HATTER and Samuel VAUGHN. Carpenters: J S STEEN, G STEEN and J H FRAIM. Saddler: J P HOWARD. Blacksmiths: J M WELCH, F A HATTER, Logan SPEAKMAN and William H. LISENBY. Miller: BOid N WILLIAMS. Teachers: M JORDAN and M T JORDAN. Coffee house keeper: Robert LONG. Tavern Kepper: T A LONG. Hatter: Charles JORDAN. I'm skipping over Fountain Run as I have done extensive posts on this community before. One mile from the TN line. Homes built here prior to 1798; James CRAWFORD built a cabin about 1 1/2 miles east of the current post office. John HAYES settled on East Fork Creek, a mile above the source of the Barren River. The WELCH family settled on Line Creek abt 1800. James CRAWFORD & John HAYES were interested in developing the area socially and educationally. They donated, in 1836, a tract of land of 10 acres for a church. Original trustees were William CRAWFORD, Matison COMER, John HAYES, Robert WELCH, James CRAWFORD, Jjr., Charles BROWNING, Jr., and John MEADOR. A school was begun here abt 1840, burned, new building erected in 1844. It burned 1865, rebuilt after the Civil War and used until 1885 as a church and by a school until 1893. Mrs. Lucy NEWMAN donated land for a new school site, first grade established in 1910. High school built in 1815. John D WELCH was an original trustee in 1844, hurt on the school grounds. He knew he was going to die, asked to be buried on the school grounds; he died 29 Aug 1844, and this was the start of the Gamaliel Cemetery. Mrs. Elizabeth (COMER) HIBBITT, d/o Maston, planted an arbor-vita tree by her husband's grave, abt 18 inches tall. She died 13 Dec 1887 and was buried next to her husband. It is now more than 50 feet in height. The post office was establishedd in 1870, John E. DOTSON post master; Dr. C C RIGGS followed. J H VANDOVER replaced him, then John NEWMAN, Alexander RITTER, R W COMER, Harl HAYES, Joseph NEWMAN, Josiah NEWMAN, Wirt COMER, E E JENKINS, Dr. O P HAMILTON, Howard HAYES, Mabel HAYES, Maude COMER, Glen JACKSON, and Garry Marrs COMER. During the Civil War, Gen. BRAGG's army camped nearby. Several citizens were killed including Nat AUSTIN, Bill HEFLIN and Dr. BOBO. Miles WELCH was the tax collector during the Civil War. The Church of Christ started here 1840; the Baptist in 1882-84 and the Methodist 1942. HARLIN Store - during Civil War run by James HARLIN. John DOTSON an early merchant. Samuel Dewitt HARLAN, 1876 went into business with COMER, HARLIN and CONKIN; HARLIN tok over hardware and drugs and others took over the dry goods part. S F HARLIN ran the hardware store until 1910; foster son-in-law, O E COMER, Sr then bought 1/2 interest. After S D's death in 1927, O E COMER Sr and Jr became owners. S S CRAWFORD and his son B O CRAWFORD were blacksmiths. Col MAXEY and his sister ran a boarding house and village inn. Wickliffe COMER had a boarding house and motel. Mr & Mrs Estis COMER had a small hotel in 1918. Wyatt DODSON build a country store; James HARLIN ran a store; John NEWMAN had a general store. O E COMER's business sold to Morris and Billy CARDER and Dr. Kenneth CRABTREE. Jim EMBERTON had a business and other businessmen included Sam CROPPER, P T BILES, G L COMER, JACKSON Bros, N E WEST and Mr & Mrs. Mitchell TAYLOR. The Chamber of Commerce began in 1872 with Col MAXEY, Dr C C RIGGS, Jasper EMBERTON, George HARLIN, Wick COMER, Leo COMER, Dr. R F CRABTREE, Sam S. CRAWFORD, S D HARLIN and W W PAGE as members. The Gamaliel Bank established 1903, R W COMER, President and Tom COMER, cashier. S B RAY cashier here many years; folled by Ray HOLLAND, Harry Ross TURNER. O E COMER was president 1938-1969. Doctors included: BOBO (first - killed during the Civil War), C C RIGGS, A W POTTER, Oliver HAMILTON, R F CRABTREE, Jess SMITH, E A TUCKER, CARLTON, Clovis CRABTREE, John MARSH, Kenneth CRABTREE, Marcus PATTON, W R BUSHONG, James HEAD and Timothy HUMES. to be continued - Sandi
Return main page.
Last Updated: Sunday, 21-Sep-2008 11:17 PM